August 11, 2017-First Children’s high school program will feature a combination of ABA therapy, life skills and vocational training, and services for students who are medically fragile, visually impaired, and/or deaf or hard of hearing. The program is designed to maximize the learning and skills of each individual student. We provide a small class size, low staff to student ratio, and individualized instruction. First Children School employs staff who understand the uniqueness of development in each child. First Children School utilizes the National Standards, modified for the learning of our students. Math, language arts, social studies, and science are the core subjects of our classes.First Children’s high school program will offer the same quality, highly specialized, educational and therapeutic services as our Pre-K though middle school classes including:
Cutting Edge Technology-We utilize IPADS, Smart Boards and augmentative devices to meet each student’s individual needs and enrich the curriculum.
- Therapeutic Services-Our therapeutic services include physical, occupational and speech/feeding therapy. These services are provided individually as well as in small group. Educators and therapists meet daily to discuss goals and treatment planning in order to provide a comprehensive and collaborative educational program.
Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing-Our Teachers of the Deaf provide in class support as well as individualized instruction. An audiologist provides consultative services including assessment and monitoring of equipment needs.
- Instruction for Students with Visually Impairments-In September 2016, we added our first Teacher of the Visually Impaired to our educational team.
Behavioral Services-We offer extensive behavioral services for our students. We have Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBAs) and Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) therapists on staff. Students can receive one to one ABA therapy as well as push in services.
- Full-Time Nursing-First Children School has a full staff of nurses who are trained in the total care of students that have significant medical issues.
- Parent Support Services-Parents have an important role at First Children School! We have an open door policy, so parents are always welcome to observe classes or therapies. We also provide informational and support services for families.
- Medical Clinics-First Children School offers a wide range of school based clinical services. These include Physiatry, Neurodevelopmental, Audiology/Speech/Feeding, Orthotic, and Rehabilitative. Parents are encouraged to participate.
- Enrichment Therapies-We believe in nurturing the whole child by utilizing music, pet, and horticultural therapies in our curriculum.
- Life Skills Instruction-Our students learn to explore their environments. Field trips, community based instruction as well as interactive presentations help to broaden knowledge and generalize skills.
- Transitions and District Assistance-High school is an important time for students who will soon be transitioning into adulthood. We will work with the families and school districts to ensure that each student has a smooth transition into this important next step of their lives.
- Extended School Year-First Children School offers a seven-week long Extended School Year Program for our students. The program gives new students the opportunity to become acquainted with their new school in a particularly low-key environment, and it allows First Children students to maintain learning that is hard to retain over long summer breaks.