First Children Services provides behavioral assessments for children throughout New Jersey. Children can engage in a variety of behaviors that can impede their ability to learn, grow and socialize. Many children require a behavioral assessment to understanding the function (purpose) of their behaviors.
First Children staff can deliver the following behavioral assessments to children and adults :
- Functional Behavior Assessment (FBA)
- Verbal Behavior Milestones Assessment and Placement Program (VBMAPP)
- Assessment of Basic Language and Learning Skills (ABLLS)
- Assessment of Functioning Living Skills (AFLS)
- Social Skills Assessments
When maladaptive behaviors are observed, a Functional Behavior Assessment (FBA) should be completed. An FBA contains several steps including:
- An interview with teachers/aides or parents
- Record reviews
- Directly observing the child
- Identifying and defining behaviors
- Collecting data (frequency, duration and ABC)
- Analyzing data
- Creating a hypothesis to the function of the maladaptive behaviors
- Implementing an individualized behavior intervention plan (BIP)
A common misconception is that a Functional Behavior Assessment is an intervention, when it is actually a process or tool for understanding the function (purpose) of behavior. The results of a FBA will assist in creating an effective Behavioral Intervention Plan (BIP).
For more information on our behavioral assessments, please call 908-654-2482 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.